How COVID-19 is impacting theatrical box office
Ampere revises theatrical forecasts to reflect the impact of the virus
- Global box office revenues are forecast to reach $36.4bn in 2020, 18% lower than the previous estimate.
- Year-on-year, this represents a global downturn of 14% in 2020, compared to 2019
- Box office revenues in 2021 will return to growth, increasing 15% over 2020, to $41.9bn
- The impact of COVID-19 in 2020 will be felt throughout the forecast period owing to:
- A temporary pause in new screen additions in 2020.
- Cinema closures in mature markets accelerating existing declines in admissions.
- Disruption to film production and release schedules.
- Forced changes to consumer consumption habits and film distribution channels.
- By 2025 the global theatrical market will have grown to $46.7bn, albeit still lower than previous forecasts.
To access this report, log in or contact our sales team on +44 (0)20 3848 6400